Located on South Columbia Street across from Fraternity Court, Abernethy Hall was originally built as a campus infirmary. Completed in 1907, the building was expanded in the 1930s to house additional beds and serve as a teaching facility for students in the medical school. Known for decades as the Infirmary, the name was changed to Abernethy Hall in 1945 in honor of alumnus Dr. Eric Abernethy, who served as the university physician from 1919 to 1933.
The campus infirmary moved to a new building in 1946, and Abernethy has since housed a variety of different departments and offices, including the Evening College, the North Carolina High School Athletic Association, and the Playmakers Theatre ticket office. The Department of Public Policy later moved into the building. The American Indian Center was located in Abernethy Hall for many years. In 2019 Abernethy became the home for the newly established UNC Latinx Center.
Date Established: 1907
Date Range: 1907 – Present