Beard Hall has been the home of the School of Pharmacy since its dedication in 1960. The Daily Tar Heel reported that approximately 1,000 people attended the dedication, including a large number of pharmacists. The building is named for John Grover Beard, a native of Kernersville who came to Chapel Hill as an undergraduate and never left. He earned a degree in pharmacy in 1909 and was hired as an assistant instructor right after graduation. He was a full professor by 1919 and served as dean from 1931 until his death in 1946. In 2015 the School of Pharmacy began renovations in Beard Hall to enable students and faculty to better incorporate technology in their teaching and research.