Carolina Coffee Shop

Carolina Coffee Shop is the oldest continuously operating business in Chapel Hill, operating at 138 East Franklin Street since 1922. It opened as a soda fountain called the Carolina Confectionary. It later added full meals and "Coffee Shop" to the name. By the mid-1930s it was known simply as the Carolina Coffee Shop. The restaurant has long been known for its booths (described as "cozy alcoves" in a 1937 ad), dark wood interior, and classical music.


Date Established: 1922

Date Range: 1922 – Present