Quail Hill, the current official residence of the university chancellor, is located adjacent to campus, off Raleigh Road. It was built by George Watts Hill (class of 1922), a Durham banker and philanthropist who served on the UNC Board of Trustees and later on the UNC System Board of Governors. The university purchased Quail Hill in 1993 from his widow, Anne Gibson Hill. Before 1993, the chancellor's residence was a house on Country Club Road.
Hill was interested in architecture and oversaw the design and construction of Quail Hill. His architectural influence is also evident on campus. He managed construction of the Carolina Inn, which was built by his father, John Sprunt Hill (class of 1889), in 1924. He also contributed funds and architectural direction for the George Watts Hill Alumni Center, which opened in 1993.
There have been discussions over the years about whether the chancellor and the system president should switch official residences. The President's House, on Franklin Street, is much closer to the campus, while Quail Hill is adjacent to the UNC System offices on Raleigh Road.
Date Established: 1954
Date Range: 1954 – Present