Connor Residence Hall
Connor Residence Hall was one of three new dorms opened in 1948 to accommodate the expanding student population entering the university following World War II. The other two built at the same time are Winston and Alexander, now known collectively as the Connor Community. The lawn framed by the dorms, known as "Connor Beach," was home to the popular Springfest music festival in the 1980s, and its successor, Connorstock, which began in the 2000s.
Known informally as B Dorm when it opened, the dorm was later named for archivist and historian Robert Digges Wimberly Connor. A native of Wilson, North Carolina, Connor graduated from UNC in 1899. After graduation he was a school teacher and helped establish the State Archives of North Carolina, which he led for several years. Connor joined the UNC Board of Trustees in 1913, and the faculty in 1921 when he was named a Kenan Professor of History. He left the university in 1934 when he was appointed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt as the first Archivist of the United States. He returned to Carolina in 1941, teaching and writing until his death in 1950.
Date Established: 1948
Date Range: 1948 – Present