Dey Hall was completed in 1962 for the use of the university's foreign language departments. The building was praised for being fully air conditioned and for its language lab, which had 200 stations in which students could study languages using tape-recorded lessons and conversations. It is named for faculty member William Morton Dey, who led the department for more than forty years. He joined the faculty in 1909 and was named a Kenan Professor in 1934. He retired in 1950. Dey's specialty was French literature, and his knowledge and contributions were acknowledged by the French government, which made him Chevalier of the Legion of Honor in 1949.
Date Established: 1962
Date Range: 1962 – Present