After four years of construction, Fetzer Gymnasium opened in 1981 on the site once occupied by the Tin Can. The new facility included three separate gyms, as well as offices and classrooms. It is named for Robert Fetzer, who came to UNC in the 1921 to coach football and track. He later served as both director of the athletic department and chair of the Department of Physical Education. Fetzer remained as athletic director until 1952, overseeing a period of substantial growth for the program.