Fordham Hall

Opened in 1988, Fordham Hall was built behind Mitchell Hall to house biology and biotechnology programs, with faculty offices and research laboratories. The building is named for Christopher C. Fordham III, chancellor of UNC—Chapel Hill from 1980 to 1988. Fordham was an alumnus (class of 1947) who returned to Chapel Hill in 1971 as dean of the School of Medicine. His tenure as chancellor was marked by a major revision of the undergraduate curriculum; by continued expansion of the university, including the creation of new programs such as the Area Health Education Centers; and by student anti-apartheid protests that culminated in the building of a mock shanty town on Polk Place.