In the mid-1960s construction began on a new building for the English department, which was the largest on campus and had long outgrown its home in Bingham Hall. Opened in 1970, Greenlaw Hall contained over 100 faculty offices, classrooms, and an auditorium. The original plans also called for a second-floor bridge connecting Greenlaw to Bingham, but it was abandoned due to lack of funds.
The building is named for former faculty member and administrator Edwin A. Greenlaw. Although he spent only twelve years at Carolina (1913—25), he had a lasting influence. Hired as an English professor and later promoted to department chair and then dean of the graduate school, Greenlaw helped grow the department, starting a program in comparative literature. He led the university's efforts to join the prestigious Association of American Universities and helped establish the University of North Carolina Press. He was also one of the original group of Kenan Professors. In The Web and the Rock, a novel by his former student Thomas Wolfe, the character of Randolph Ware is based on Greenlaw.
Date Established: 1966
Date Range: 1966 – Present