The building now known as Blyden and Roberta H. Jackson Hall was originally built in 1942 to house the campus's U.S. Navy pre-flight school. After World War II a kitchen and dining room were added and it housed the Monogram Club, an organization of current and former varsity athletes. The building became known as the Monogram Club and contained the popular Circus Room soda fountain and snack bar. After a brief stint as a faculty club, the Monogram Club building was renovated again and became the home of the Office for Undergraduate Admissions. In 1992 it was renamed in honor of Blyden and Roberta Jackson. Blyden Jackson, hired in 1969 in the English department, was the first African American full professor at Carolina. When his wife, Roberta Jackson, was hired in 1970 by the School of Education, she was the first tenure-track African American woman in the Division of Academic Affairs.
Date Established: 1942
Date Range: 1942 – Present