Kenan-Flagler Business School
UNC first established a School of Commerce in 1919 to train students to "meet the more complex and changing conditions of modern commercial and industrial life," according to the Tar Heel. Housed originally in Alumni Hall, the school held classes Saunders and then Bingham Hall. The early 1950s was a period of growth and change for the school: the name was changed to the School of Business Administration, the program moved into larger facilities in the newly built Carroll Hall, and the school launched a master's of business administration program. In 1991, following gifts from the W. R. Kenan Jr. Charitable Trust and the Kenan family, the school name became the Kenan-Flagler Business School. The name recognizes Mary Lily Kenan Flagler Bingham, sister of William R. Kenan Jr., who established the Kenan Professorships with a bequest, and her husband, oil and railroad magnate Henry Morrison Flagler. With the completion of the McColl Building on a hill near the Dean Smith Center, the school moved to South Campus in 1997.