Lewis Residence Hall

Lewis Residence Hall opened in 1924, around the same time as nearby Aycock and Graham dorms. The dorm houses around 100 students. It remained an all-male dorm (one of the last remaining on campus) until 1985. In 1987 it underwent an extensive renovation, which included the installation of central air conditioning. It is named for Richard Henry Lewis, a Pitt County native who attended UNC from 1866 until the school closed in 1868. He finished his education in Virginia and Maryland and went on to a successful career in medicine. He worked as a practicing doctor, served as secretary of the North Carolina State Board of Health, and taught at both UNC and the Leonard Medical School at Shaw University in Raleigh. He was a member of the UNC Board of Trustees for thirty-five years.


Date Established: 1922

Date Range: 1922 – Present