Love House and Hutchins Forum

Located at 410 East Franklin Street next to the President's House, this has been the home of the Center for the Study of the American South since 2007. The house was built in 1887 by university mathematics professor James Lee Love, who lived there with his wife, Julia Spencer Love, and her mother, Cornelia Phillips Spencer. Mrs. Spencer was a well-known writer and university booster. The university bought the house in 1890 and used it to house faculty. In 2003 the house was renovated and expanded with the Hutchins Forum to be the home for the center. The added name honors James A. Hutchins Jr., UNC class of 1937, who worked at the Department of Agriculture on programs to feed children and eliminate hunger.


Date Established: 1887

Date Range: 1887 – Present