MacNider Hall opened in 1939, built in part with funds from the Public Works Administration. The new building had long been desired by the Schools of Medicine and Public Health, which had outgrown their space in Caldwell Hall. The location helped establish a new home for the university's health affairs programs on South Campus. In 1951 the building was named for former dean William de Berniere MacNider. MacNider was a native of Chapel Hill and graduated with the first class of the medical school, in 1903. He spent more than fifty years working at UNC, first appointed in 1899 and retiring in 1950. He was dean of the School of Medicine from 1937 to 1940. MacNider organized the university's Department of Pharmacology in the medical school, which focuses on the study of chemical interactions on biological systems, including but not limited to the effects of pharmaceutical drugs. UNC's department is one of the ten original pharmacology departments in the United States.
Date Established: 1938
Date Range: 1938 – Present