The tradition of music at Tar Heel sporting events goes back to 1903, when the University Brass Band played at a baseball game on campus. The band played occasionally at games in subsequent years but did not become a fixture at sporting events until the 1920s, especially after the opening of Kenan Stadium. By the 1940s marching band performances were common at halftime of home football games and featured creative formations by the band members. The Marching Tar Heels prospered under the leadership of John Yesulaitis, who took over in 1964 and led the band for more than twenty years. Yesulaitis grew the marching band to include more than 200 students, and it became known as the Pride of the ACC.