McGavran-Greenberg Hall, completed in 1990, is part of the complex of buildings that house the Gillings School of Global Public Health. The building houses administrative offices, teaching areas, and laboratories. It was named in honor of two early deans of the School of Public Health. Edward G. McGavran, who led the school from 1947 to 1963, oversaw a major expansion that added three departments. Bernard George Greenberg was the founded and first chair of the school's biostatistics department and dean from 1972 to 1982.