In 1908 a group of current and former Carolina varsity athletes organized the "North Carolina Club" as a social organization and to promote sports at the university. The name was changed in the early 1920s to the Monogram Club, a popular name for student-athlete groups used by several other universities. Club members advocated for athletic teams and facilities and for a while oversaw the cheerleading squads. The club also hosted social events that were open to everyone. In the mid-1940s the club moved its offices into the building recently vacated by the campus's navy pre-flight school following World War II. The building housed the popular Circus Room soda fountain and snack bar and became known informally as the Monogram Club until its name was changed to Blyden and Roberta H. Jackson Hall in 1992.