Peabody Hall has always served as the home for the School of Education. It opened in 1913 and received a major renovation and expansion in 1960. It is named for philanthropist George Peabody, who established the Peabody Education Fund, after the Civil War to support teacher training, primarily in the South. The fund provided support for the university's first Summer Normal School for teachers in 1877 and in 1911 contributed $40,000 toward the construction of a new building for the School of Education.
Date Established: 1912
Date Range: 1912 – Present