Sitterson Hall opened in 1987 to house the Department of Computer Science. In contrast to computer science buildings at other universities, many of which featured a distinctly modern design, Sitterson was built in a more traditional style. A staff member in the department explained to the Daily Tar Heel that they didn't want a "Darth Vader building" because "computers are already intimidating." The building is named for former chancellor J. Carlyle Sitterson, who had a long career at Carolina. Beginning as an instructor in 1935, Sitterson was later named a Kenan Professor and served as dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. He was chancellor from 1966 to 1971, a period that spanned a tumultuous time on campus, including the cafeteria workers' strikes, antiracist activism from the Black Student Movement, and large-scale Vietnam protests. Sitterson and other campus administrators were often the focus of the student protests and struggled at times to respond to student demands and activism unlike any that had occurred previously in the university's history.
Date Established: 1986
Date Range: 1986 – Present