One of the university's earliest exchange programs, the Toronto Exchange ran for more than thirty years. In the program, a group of Carolina students spent a week at the University of Toronto, and the Toronto students paid a return visit. The program began in 1959 and was organized and sponsored by the student governments at the two universities. By the 1980s as many as forty students from each school participated. As more study abroad programs became available, there was less interest in the Toronto Exchange. Funding for the program was cut by the student government in 1992.