Alexander Residence Hall

Completed in 1939, Alexander was one of three new dormitories for men built using Public Works Administration funds. The building is named for Eben Alexander, a faculty member who taught Greek at Carolina in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. He served for several years as U.S. ambassador to Greece, Serbia, and Romania under President Grover Cleveland. Alexander was in Greece for the revival of the modern Olympic games in 1896 and was instrumental in getting American athletes to participate.


Date Established: 1939

Date Range: 1939 – Present

Alexander Hall, ca. 1950s. UNC Image Collection, North Carolina Collection Photo Archives, Wilson Library.