Berryhill Hall opened in 1971 to provide much-needed classroom and laboratory space for the growing School of Medicine. It was named in 1973 for W. Reece Berryhill, longtime dean of the school. Berryhill, from Charlotte, graduated from UNC in 1921. He practiced medicine for several years before returning to Chapel Hill as director of student health. He served as dean of the School of Medicine from 1941 to 1964, a period that saw the school grow from a two-year to a four-year program and expand its statewide outreach. In 2017, citing the need for a building that would provide more flexibility and an improved technical infrastructure, the university announced a plan to replace the aging Berryhill Hall.
Date Established: 1969
Date Range: 1969 – Present