The Coates Building, located on Franklin Street across from McCorkle Place, was built to house the Institute of Government in 1939. After the institute moved to a new building on the other side of campus, the space was used for academic offices and centers, including the Center for International Studies and the Department of Geography. In 1997 it was renamed in honor of Albert and Gladys Coates. Albert Coates was the founder and first director of the Institute of Government. He and his wife, Gladys Coates, were active in university life for more than a half century. Both wrote about university history, including a book they coauthored on the history of student government at the university.