Fetzer Field was completed in 1935 as part of a Works Progress Administration project. The new athletic field was home to UNC's track-and-field team and featured a cinder track. The UNC soccer and lacrosse teams also played their home games at Fetzer Field. As the women's soccer team grew in national prominence, the attendance at home soccer games was one of the best in the NCAA. The field is named for Robert Fetzer, UNC athletic director from 1922 to 1947.
Fetzer Field was renovated in the late 1980s and reopened in 1990 with expanded seating and a signature Carolina Blue track. The new track was named in honor of Irwin Belk, a UNC alumnus and former president of Belk department stores, who provided support for the new facility.
In 2017, in order to provide updated and expanded facilities for popular soccer and lacrosse programs, the university demolished Fetzer Field to make way for the UNC Soccer and Lacrosse Stadium.