Finley Golf Course

Designed by George Cobb and opened in 1949, the Finley Golf Course was built to be used by Carolina students and faculty. The university established an intramural golf program shortly after the course opened. In the 1990s golf course designer Tom Fazio oversaw a major renovation of the course. The redesigned course opened for use in 1999. The golf course was named for businessman and entrepreneur Albert Earle "A.E." Finley when it opened in 1949. Finley was the founder of North Carolina Equipment Company and owned the Pines Restaurant and University Motel in Chapel Hill. Finley was a frequent donor to Carolina and to North Carolina State University, where his name is on Carter-Finley Stadium.


Date Established: 1948

Date Range: 1948 – Present