Morehead Chemistry Labs

Completed in 1985 as undergraduate lab and classroom space for the Department of Chemistry, the lab was built with a legislative appropriation and named in honor of John Motley Morehead III (UNC class of 1891). He became a chemical engineer, working with a company cofounded by his father. There he helped develop the large-scale manufacture of calcium carbide and acetylene gas. The company eventually became part of Union Carbide. In addition to supporting chemistry and the University of North Carolina Press, Morehead built the Morehead Planetarium and established the Morehead (now Morehead-Cain) Foundation.


Date Established: 1983

Date Range: 1983 – Present