Nash Hall

Nash Hall opened in 1942, one of several new buildings used for the U.S. Navy's pre-flight school on campus during World War II. Located near the corner of McCauley and Pittsboro Streets across from the Carolina Inn, it housed cadets and later students before being converted to office and lab space in the early 1950s. The building was demolished in 2006 to facilitate work on underground steam pipes and the space was converted to a parking lot. Nash Hall was named for the Nash family of Hillsborough, including Frederick Nash, a lawyer, judge, University Trustee, and, in the 1850s, Chief Justice of the North Carolina Supreme Court.