As the campus ramped up military training facilities during World War II, the U.S. Navy funded the construction of an armory. Initially used by the navy for the campus pre-flight school, the building has housed the campus Navy ROTC since 1943. It was built to support the training needs of navy cadets and included classrooms, a drill floor, and an indoor rifle range. The armory currently houses UNC—Chapel Hill Navy, Air Force, and Army ROTC programs. Beginning in the early 2000s, the university has discussed razing the armory to make way for new construction (other nearby buildings built during the World War II expansion have suffered a similar fate). In 2002 navy cadets successfully lobbied to keep the building, but its future on campus continues to be discussed.