When it first opened in 1969, this building was known as Swing Building. It housed classrooms, a lecture hall, and labs for the School of Medicine. In 1989 the building was renamed for Isaac M. Taylor, an alumnus (class of 1942) who joined the faculty of the School of Medicine in 1952 and served as dean from 1964 to 1971. In his brief tenure leading the school, Taylor oversaw a period of growth and expansion, spearheading the construction of several new buildings. He also brought a renewed emphasis on primary health care, helping establish teaching units in hospitals across the state and laying the foundation for the establishment of the Area Health Education Centers in 1972. Despite his long career on campus, Taylor may now be best known as the father of popular singer-songwriter James Taylor.