Van Hecke-Wettach Hall
Van Hecke-Wettach Hall, the current home of the UNC School of Law, sits on Ridge Road on the eastern edge of campus. The building was completed in 1968 to give more space for the law school, which had outgrown its home in Manning Hall. The building is named for two law school deans, Maurice Taylor Van Hecke and Robert H. Wettach, both of whom joined the law school faculty in 1921.
The building also houses the Katherine Robinson Everett Law Library, named in 1993 in recognition of Everett's support for the school and her career. Everett was the only woman in the law school class of 1920. She graduated first in her class, was one of the first women admitted to the state bar, and was the first woman to argue —and win —a case before the North Carolina Supreme Court. She was also one of the first two women to win a seat on the Durham City Council (1951), a seat she held for twenty years.