Vance Hall was built in 1912 as part of a three-part dormitory for men students, along with Battle and Pettigrew. It is on the northwest corner of McCorkle Place on Franklin Street . The buildings were converted to offices in the 1960s. In excavations related to building construction near the Pettigrew and Vance Hall sites, UNC Research Laboratories of Archaeology staff have uncovered artifacts from prehistoric American Indian occupation.
Vance was named in honor of Zebulon Baird Vance, who studied law at Carolina. Vance was in the U.S. Congress in 1861 when North Carolina seceded. He resigned his seat and entered the Confederate army. He served as North Carolina governor from 1862 to 1865. After the war and the conservatives regained political power, Vance served again as governor from 1876 to 1878, and then in the U.S. Senate until his death.
Date Established: 1912
Date Range: 1912 – Present